The Pig Wrestlers
Serial entrepreneur Ray Rafiq-Omar and author Jock Busuttil get together to discuss Mark McCormack’s book, Never Wrestle With A Pig. They just don’t always get around to it. The topics they discuss often include their own experiences of fintech, founding and managing technology companies, product management and current affairs.
Or watch The Pig Wrestlers on YouTube
- Never Wrestle With A Pig – Episode 12by Ray Rafiq-Omar and Jock Busuttil on April 14, 2021
Ray and Jock reach the iconic chapter of the book and chat about why it’s fruitless to wrestle with pigs, the harsh realisation that sometimes you are in fact the pig, and how that taints your ability to lead.
- Cutting Corners – Episode 11by Ray Rafiq-Omar and Jock Busuttil on April 7, 2021
Ray and Jock discuss what you can and can’t control, which are the right corners to cut when innovating, and how outsiders like SpaceX and Apple look at problems from a fresh perspective.
- About Time – Episode 10by Ray Rafiq-Omar and Jock Busuttil on March 31, 2021
Ray and Jock discuss how they keep control of their time, why your relationship with a cofounder can be like a marriage, and the secret of what VC investors are really looking for in a startup.
- The Racehorse – Episode 9by Ray Rafiq-Omar and Jock Busuttil on March 24, 2021
Ray and Jock discuss why Mark McCormack values the people he calls ‘racehorses’, who favour action over deliberation.
- Small Defining Moments – Episode 8by Ray Rafiq-Omar and Jock Busuttil on March 17, 2021
This week Ray and Jock discuss the small moments that define how people see us, and talk about autonomy, mastery and purpose.
- Social Contact – Episode 7by Ray Rafiq-Omar and Jock Busuttil on March 10, 2021
Ray and Jock reveal where to find the person who will change your life and how lockdown has reminded us of the importance of social contact.
- Why This Book? – Episode 6by Ray Rafiq-Omar and Jock Busuttil on March 3, 2021
Ray tells Jock why he’s carried a copy of ‘Never Wrestle With A Pig’ in his bag for nearly twenty years, and why Bitcoin believers need more empathy.
- To Deplatform Or Not? – Episode 5by Ray Rafiq-Omar and Jock Busuttil on February 24, 2021
Ray and Jock discuss why Amazon Web Services won the cloud, and whether AWS was right to deplatform Parler and Donald Trump.
- High Standards – Episode 4by Ray Rafiq-Omar and Jock Busuttil on February 17, 2021
Ray and Jock dig into one of Jeff Bezos’ letters talking about how high standards can be teachable.
- Clubhouse – Episode 3by Ray Rafiq-Omar and Jock Busuttil on February 10, 2021
Ray and Jock discuss the real reason why Jeff Bezos stepped down as CEO of Amazon.
- Ways To Change Society – Episode 2by Ray Rafiq-Omar and Jock Busuttil on February 3, 2021
This time, Ray and Jock move on from the r/WallStreetBets surge on the GameStop share price. Was the means of protest an effective way to change society? They also discuss challenger banks (or neo-banks) and which institutions they’d trust with their money.
- r/WallStreetBets – Episode 1by Ray Rafiq-Omar and Jock Busuttil on January 31, 2021
In this opening double episode of The Pig Wrestlers, Ray and Jock discuss r/WallStreetBets and GameStop as a form of civil unrest, how making a point often means making a sacrifice, the market for tradeable NBA video clips and get all sentimental about prime numbers.